Baking is a simple activity that both adults and kids can do together. From the various tv cook shows that feature kids cooking all kinds of amazing dishes, more and more parents are opening up to the idea of kids as cooks, chefs or bakers! So here are some simple recipes for you and your kids to try out in your kitchen 🙂
These are really simple to make if you have a bread machine at home.
1 cup of water
4 cups unbleached strong white bread flour
3 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp easy-blend (rapid-rise) dried yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
Black sesame seeds
1. Pour in water into the bread pan. Then add flour, milk powder, salt, sugar & butter in separate corners of the pan. Make a small indent in the center without reaching the water and add yeast.
2. Set the bread machine to the dough setting. Press start.
3. When the dough cycle has finished, remove dough from the pan and place it on a lightly floured surface.
4. Knock back (punch down) gently, then divide into 12 pieces.
5. Take one piece, press a hole in the center and fill it up with a spoonful of red bean paste. Then seal it up with the rest of the dough. Do the same with the rest of them.
6. Leave them to rise further for 30 mins.
7. Beat an egg yolk with a little water and use an egg brush to brush on each bun. Then sprinkle black sesame seeds on each bun.
8. Bake for 15-18 mins or until golden brown.
This is so easy to make! It does not require beating, stirring or whipping. Just a gentle mixing with a tablespoon will do! Great as a tea time snack 🙂
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
50g choc chips (or replace with seeds & nuts)
1 tbsp cold water
1. Mix the flour and baking powder with the softened butter. Use the rubbing method to rub in the butter into the flour with your fingers.
2. Pour in raisins, choc chips/dried seeds & nuts.
3. Beat the egg yolk with some water. Pour into the dry mixture and mix well.
4. Use a teaspoon to spoon the mixture into the mini paper cups.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until golden brown.